1st Novel Coronavirus (nCoV) Death Outside of China Recorded in Philippines

From a February 2 Press Release from the Philippine Dept of Health (DOH.)

The Department of Health (DOH) and the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) today revealed that as of yesterday, February 1, 2020, twenty-four (24) patients under investigation (PUIs) tested negative for the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) while two (2) tested positive.

Samples from four (4) other PUIs are currently being tested at RITM. The two confirmed cases are the previously-announced 38-year-old Chinese female and her companion, a 44-year-old Chinese male who were both admitted for isolation and supportive treatment at San Lazaro Hospital in Sta. Cruz, Manila.

1st Novel Coronavirus (nCoV) Death Outside of China Recorded in Philippines

Both patients are from Wuhan, China and arrived in the Philippines via Hong Kong last January 21, 2020.

The second confirmed case was admitted for pneumonia last January 25, 2020  after experiencing fever, cough, and sore throat.  

DOH also confirmed that the 44-year-old male died yesterday, February 1, 2020.

Over the course of the patient’s admission, he developed severe pneumonia due to viral and bacterial infections (S. pneumoniae and Influenza B.) In his last few days, the patient was stable and showed signs of improvement, however, the condition of the patient deteriorated within his last 24 hours resulting in his demise.

“I would like to emphasize that this is an imported case with no evidence of local transmission.  We are currently working with the Chinese Embassy to ensure the dignified management of the remains according to national and international standards to contain the disease,” Health Secretary Francisco T. Duque III said. 

DOH is assuring the public that all measures needed to contain the spread of the virus is being strictly implemented and followed.

San Lazaro Hospital has implemented rigorous infection control protocols while caring for these patients. Both patients were isolated following strict isolation standards, and all health personnel who came in contact with them practiced stringent infection control measures and wore appropriate personal protective equipment. 

Ban on Visitors from China, Macao, and Hong Kong

“The Philippine Government has already implemented a temporary travel ban for travelers coming from China, Macao, and Hong Kong. DOH is monitoring every development on the 2019-nCoV very closely and is taking proactive measures to contain the spread of this virus in our country. This health event is fast-evolving and fluid. We are continuously recalibrating our plans and efforts as the situation develops,” Duque assured. 

“The new developments warrant a more diligent approach in containing the threats of the 2019-nCoV. The Department of Health is continuously improving and scaling up its public health measures and reminds the public to remain calm and vigilant,” Secretary Duque concluded.

Author: The Kano

POST AUTHOR: "THE KANO." Dave DeWall, "The Kano", is the Publisher & Editor-in-Chief of "Philippines Plus" in publication since August 2009. He is also the CEO of Lizard Poop Productions and author of the best-selling guide book "The Philippines Expat Advisor." Dave moved to the Philippines in July 2009 from Central Illinois with his lovely wife of over 20 years, "The Sainted Patient Wife." The couple reside in a rural province in Western Visayas, Guimaras. The small island province is said to have the sweetest mangoes in the world. They do not have any children but are the proud owners of eight active canines, including a Belgian Shepherd called "Killer" "Killer" has bitten five people in the last two years along with one goat and a carabao. "Killer" doesn't like strangers. Or goats. Or carabaos.