When my lovely asawa and I retired to the Philippines over eight years ago, I had a secret weapon. A very useful tool: the Lonely Planet Filipino Phrasebook. After deciding to move to the Philippines I purchased a Filipino phrasebook from Amazon to assist me in learning the language. During my free time I would scour the handy guide and memorize different words and phrases.
Phrasebook Now on Sale
This updated book from Amazon is currently on sale for only $6.86. The regular list price is $9.99. Amazon is currently offering free shipping with Amazon Prime.
The Filipino (Tagalog) Phrasebook has even more words in this new edition, 3500. My earlier edition, which I still have, has 2000 words.
Useful Tool: Lonely Planet Filipino Phrasebook
Get More From Your Trip with Easy-to-Find Phrases for Every Travel Situation!
- Feel at ease with essential tips on culture, manners, idioms and multiple meanings
- Order with confidence, explain food allergies, and try new foods with the menu decoder
- Save time and hassles with vital phrases at your fingertips
- Never get stuck for words with the 3500-word two-way, quick-reference dictionary
- Be prepared for both common and emergency travel situations with practical phrases and terminology
- Meet friends with conversation starter phrases
- Get your message across with easy-to-use pronunciation guides
Inside Lonely Planet Filipino Phrasebook & Dictionary:
- Full-color throughout
- User-friendly layout organized by travel scenario categories
- Survival phrases inside front cover for at-a-glance on-the-fly cues
- Convenient features include ‘Listen For’ (key phrases you may hear) and ‘Look For’ (key phrases you may see on signs)
- Basics – time, dates, numbers, amounts, pronunciation rules, reading tips, grammar rules
- Practical – travel with kids, disabled travellers, sightseeing, business, banking, post office, internet, phones, repairs, bargaining, accommodations, directions, border crossing, transport
- Social – introductions, interests, feelings, opinions, going out, romance, culture, activities, weather
- Safe Travel – emergencies, police, doctor, chemist, dentist, symptoms, conditions
- Food – ordering, at the market, at the bar, dishes, ingredients
The Perfect Choice: Lonely Planet Filipino Phrasebook & Dictionary , a pocket-sized comprehensive language guide, provides on-the-go language assistance; great for language students and travelers looking to interact with locals and immerse themselves in local culture.
I still peruse this phrase book as it has come in very handy over the past eight years. While you’ll find some of the locals do know some English, many of them do not. In our region of the Philippines, the Hiligaynon language is widely spoken.
Since Filipino, formerly called Tagalog, is the national language of the Philippines, this guide from Lonely Planet has been extremely helpful in making my move to the archipelago much easier. It will assist you in any region of the Philippines and make you less dependent on learning the particular local dialect.
Take advantage of this amazing sale and order your copy today.