Aug

Guimaras Joyful Preschool Continues to Educate Young Minds

That’s my sister-in-law Alida, who as Director of the Guimaras Joyful Preschool, continues to educate young minds as she tutors an adolescent  charge early one Saturday morning. Alida’s institute of learning has grown from an initial enrollment of 19 pupils to well over 70 students in only a few years. She now has a waiting list, and along with her husband Joery, are planning to build a new classroom adjacent to the present structure to handle the increasing enrollment demands.
alida tutoring

Word has gotten out that the preschool, which originated as the Guimaras Joyful Noise Learning Center is providing quality education on the mango island province. And parents on our island mango province, like many parents everywhere, want their children to have the best education possible.

guimaras joyful preschool

Perhaps this is a classroom I should attend, the one marked “Humility.” Alida is a dedicated teacher who is always striving to give her pupils informative and helpful teaching lessons and instilling in them positive traits, like humility, that they can keep with them the rest of their lives.

humility section of guimaras joyful preschool

And why not a classroom marked “Harmony?” Another good life lesson to learn and to reinforce in young minds. I grew up with two younger brothers. We could have used a classroom like that at times. Or a good swift kick in the butt.

harmony section

Here’s a look at one of the new classrooms that Joery has constructed adjacent to the back of the house.  My brother-in-law also built the desks that you see, but I notice that he has opted for plastic chairs, instead of wooden chairs which I have seen him build previously for use in the classroom.

inside new classroom

cr

And if you have over 70 children in your preschool, as the Guimaras Joyful Preschool has, you will need a C.R., Comfort Room. It might not look fancy but at least it has a door, something which the CR at our niece JalAmiel’s public school did not have at the beginning of the school year. My niece’s classmates would have to hold up a plastic sheet over the restroom’s entrance whenever she had to use it.

pta officers at guimaras joyful preschool

The P.T.A. officer rooster for Guimaras Joyful Preschool is proudly displayed on the banner above. This nipa hut, also built by Joery, was constructed for parents, grandparents and other relatives  as they wait for their young charges to be dismissed from the classroom. Alida and Joery, along with our niece Michelle, who also teaches at the school, have put a lot of hard work into establishing this school as the Guimaras Joyful Preschool continues to educate young minds.

The trio serve as excellent role models for all of the pupils and I am proud to call them relatives. Our niece, Shaina, who resides with us, is in her first year of college and is studying to be a teacher and will eventually be an instructor at the preschool. Michelle has been continuing her education by attending classes each Saturday in Iloilo and will have a teaching degree next year. It looks like there will be a steady supply of teachers from our relative pool to keep up with the increasing enrollment demands the school is facing.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• DaveW says:

Lots of expats complain about the quality of education and the general intelligence of Filipinos. In my limited experience I was impressed at how much Filipino kids know. Sounds like it is schools like your sister in laws that do a good job teaching kids. My wife is from Alcoy, Cebu and it’s very provincial. I was amazed at how much the kids knew and how motivated there are in school.

• The Kano says:

Yes, DaveW, I’ve actually had an Austrian professor teaching part-time at a college in Iloilo City tell me the quality of education for a college senior in Iloilo, at least where he teaches, is on the same level as a Western high school senior. I’ve been helping our nephew Sharwin, in his senior year of high school, with his home work, and though I was able to make the National Honor Society back in my high school decades ago, I have been challenged by some of the assignments Sharwin has been given. My sister-in-law is extremely dedicated and even gave up a karaoke Saturday at our place last night to work on school-related issues.

• Ron says:

Very nice and commendable.

• papaduck says:

It sounds like Joery and Alida have really done a greatjob with the school. It has to be reassurring to families that there is a good option other than public school that can help set there children up for what life offers them.

• The Kano says:

Yes, Papa Duck, Joery and Alida are striving to make their preschool even better and offer parents an alternative to the public school situation, albeit only for the preschool crowd at this time. Our young niece and nephew, Alida and Joery’s children, have already gone through their Mother’s preschool and are now enrolled in the local public school in advanced classes called SPED which I will cover in my next post.

• Owen says:

I am going to be wet blanket here to maybe generate thoughts of value.

Specifically, the reputation of any time a business is seen successful, things are done to stop that. So, thoughts:

That CR caught my attention as a red flag. Regulations? Those are kids using that. A violation of whatever would be huge.

Are all necessary certifications in place for personnel? The construction . . . approved blueprints?

On the other hand, maybe ignore all this. If some powerful family wants that business to fail, then it will fail regardless of attention paid to certs.

• The Kano says:

Owen, my sister-in-law has all the necessary permits as we have relatives that work in the local government offices and made sure she had all the necessary certifications in place.

The CR? Owen, this is the Philippines. That CR is luxurious compared to some restrooms I’ve seen here. It has running water and soap. My niece’s restroom at her public school doesn’t have running water or even a door. My wife buys hand sanitizer for my niece to use when she is at school.

The lot the school sits on is owned by one of the most powerful families on Guimaras, they control half the island. As long as the P500 a month rent is paid, they shouldn’t have any problems.

There has been a whispering campaign against the school by an former teacher’s aide but that can be expected anywhere. It doesn’t seem to have affected the enrollment as new students are being put on the waiting list every week.