From the Midwest redneck author of "The Rooster Crows at 4am!," "Lizard Poop!," and "The Philippines Expat Advisor"
Top Ten Dating Website Tips
A recent article about the Cherry Blossoms dating website drew a huge amount of remarks. Those comments comprise the bulk of this post: Top Ten Dating Website Tips. Though PhilippinesPlus naturally focuses on meeting Filipinas for the single guys out there, I thought the informative and intelligent remarks could apply to the majority of dating websites online. Here are the tips:
1. If any Fililpina you are chatting with asks you for money, get rid of them. RUN! Cut off ALL communication no matter how sad the story or how cute they look. Very few quality Filipinas will start asking for money. Todd had this tip on his list and so do I. I put it at “Number One.”
2. Ask tough questions. Both Todd and RandyL included this in their tips. Here's what Randy had to say on the topic:
- Ask about her parents. Do they work? What do they do?
- How many siblings do you have? Do they work? What do each of them do?
- Do you have any children? How many?
- HAVE YOU EVER BEEN MARRIED???
- Where/what do you live in?
- Who supports you NOW?
- Ask about education/grads/career plans, etc. Don't be afraid to put them on the spot. You have to look at is as interview of sorts, because in reality, that's what it is. Dig as deep as you can.
3. Use email as a tool.
From Lee, who remarked that he found email to be the best tool:
- "to weed girls out looking for an ATM."
- "to get to know the girl from the inside out."
Lee added that while "looking at the web cam of a girl that Victoria's Secret hadn't discovered yet" his "brain doesn't work right." Good point, Lee. Todd recommends that the web cam be turned on. And that's also a good idea, because the lovely "Filipina" you think you are chatting with could be very well be a lady boy. You have to experiment and see which method works best for you.
4. Use chat rooms.
Mark G. met the love of his life in a Yahoo chat room. He remarked that people talked about relationships and had all kinds of discussions.
5. Meet more than one Filipina when you visit the Philippines.
Why limit yourself to visiting just one pretty pinay when you spend all that money on a plane ticket to the Philippines? I only met one pen pal I had been writing for over six months but was fortunate she was "The One." After over 12 years of marriage, she still puts up with me.
Boston Pauly had a plan to meet five Filipinas after making a visit to the Philippines and discovering that the one had been chatting with for the past eight months, was not going to be soul mate forever. He went back to the States and joined what is now FilipinoCupid and narrowed a list of 700 ladies interested in him down to 120 and eventually pared that list to 20 and then only 5.
But one day Paul got a message from a Mindanao girl asking him if his profile picture was taken in Boracay. She assumed that he already met his future asawa on his previous trip to the island paradise.
They chatted for hours. During the conversation Paul informed the Filipina from Mindanao that he was still looking for "the one." He tossed his original plan to meet the original five right out the window. They met and got married and now two years later have a beautiful baby boy.
So is it good advice to meet more than one Filipina? Well, in my case and Paul's it turned out God had different plans for us. But if you have some doubts about the one you are meeting, I don't see anything wrong with planning to meet some other Filipinas while you're there. We have several friends back in the States who are married to wonderful Filipinas that weren't the one they originally went over to visit.
6. Use the search parameters of the dating website.
Garf met her dream guy on Cherry Blossoms and took advantage of their excellent search options to help her in her search. Here's her remark: "The Cherry Blossoms had search parameters which included age, religion, education and profession. It was then that he specified that the website began sending him profiles of any new engineers that signed up. It was only a few days later that he received my profile and decided to respond.
Though I was younger and shorter (I’m 4′10 and he’s 6′4) than what he had listed as search parameters prior, when deciding to search for engineers he also broadened his parameters that would have previously filtered me out. Somehow, almost miraculously, through the tightest of time frames and broadest of choices we had somehow found each other."
- FilipinoCupid.com – Filipino Dating, Singles and Personals Click Here (recommended by Boston Pauly. And yes, I earn a commission from them if you click the above link.)
- DateinAsia (recommended by PapaDuck.)
- Datingmore (recommended by John.)