Boost Philippines Tourism with Sexy Hookers

"When in Manila" suggests using sexy hookers to boost tourism in the Philippines. This video  claims that Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand averages 50 million visitors each a year, while the Philippines only brings in three million visitors annually. The well-endowed  Dept. of Tourism "official" on the clip has some boring suggestions to draw more tourists, but Vince, the "When in Manila" moderator, suggests that "dirty old men" would flock to the Philippines if only the availability of sexy Filipina hookers would be promoted. Honestly, sounds like a lot better idea than the disastrous  “Pilipinas kay Ganda” campaign that the Philippine Tourism Department launched last November and quickly canceled after a furious  public backlash. Check out the video and see what you think.

1. Hi Dave: The Philippines should promote the country as a retirement destination and a desirable medical tourism country. These industries will bring in a lot more jobs than that of prostitution. Prostitution will only humilate and degrade Filipino women. I hope that in the very near future my Filipina sisters will have better prospects than old foreign men looking for prostitutes. (Oops, sorry, Roselyn, the video was missing but has been restored.)

• Hi Roselyn, Thanks for the remark. Of course the video I posted is just a “tongue-in-cheek” poke at the tourism dept. in the Philippines. Actually, the government is working on a new medical visa which I wrote about recently which should help boost tourism. Haven’t heard any update on it yet. Forgive the title of this post. Sometimes those eye-catching or controversial titles help draw in new visitors to the site.

2. More wrong thinking from people without a clue. BTW – most of the tourists coming to the Philippines are really OFW’s. They visit then go back, even they don’t like it here. Come here for health care???? Most of the health care system is 50 years behind the times. The top medical school in Davao City has only 17% of the nursing grads pass the board exam the first time. Now that is sad.

• Gary: I disagree with you wholeheartedly. I am Filipino-American. My parents retired there and passed away two years ago. My father received the best care at the Doctor’s Hospital in Cebu. He was 84 years old. He was an American and a WWII veteran. His doctor was a graduate from Michigan State University. Liked the Philippines? You bet, I do.

Do not call me as an individual without a clue. Have some respect for Filipino-Americans. I am not a OFW, but an American as you are.

• Gary: I will add this to my comment. My parents were both my natural biological parents and were married for 63 years. They were residents of California and retired in the Philippines. We are not clueless people as you mentioned.

• I am talking about the folks in the government. Your parents are the rare ones as to coming back to retire. Many think about it and even buy houses here. When the time comes most stay where they worked and family members live in the houses. The country they worked in becomes home after 20 or 30 years. Now I am talking about North America, not the Middle East or China.

“I am Filipino-American.” Indeed Roselyn, you are American!

• Gary: Allright Gary, I won’t fight with a fellow American. There’s already enough expats in the Philippines who bad mouths Americans which I can’t stand. After all we are civilized people.

• Roselyn

You’re are correct the Philippines does have good and imexpensive medical care except maybe in some of the remote areas. Like you said several of the Doctors were trained in the US. My fathers doctor in Ohio is filipino and does alot of volunteer missionary work in the Philippines. You should be very proud of your father who served his country well in WWII. I have the utmost respect for the WWII Vets. My father served in the Korean War and am very proud of him. If you don’t mind me asking, how long did your parents live in the philippines before passing away? Have a nice day!

• Hi Papa Duck: My parents resided for 19 years in the Philippines after they retired from California. I am very proud of my father (WWII vet) and my brothers who also served in the U.S. Navy. My late father was honored with gun salutes from the U.S. and Philippine army at his burial.

• Hi Papa Duck and Roselyn. Just wanted to note that my father, who is still alive and kicking in some local Las Vegas casino, is also a Korean War Veteran and served in the United States Air Force. I salute him, along with your Father, Papa Duck, and of course, your late Father, Roselyn, and your brothers. What some people tend to forget at times is that “freedom ISN”T free.”

• Hi Dave and Papa Duck: I’m proud of your fathers as well as they served their country with their lives. Indeed, freedom is not free. If not for them, I would not enjoy my life presently.

I saw a Filipina soldier on motorcycle in the Cebu Philippine Army Compound for the very first time. I was impressed as she look very well abled to be in combat. I was surprised as I had never seen a Filipina soldier before.

• Thanks, Roselyn. I was at a parade last year in Guimaras, and members of the Philippine Army rolled out of the trucks that arrived to participate in the parade. There were at least a half-dozen or so ladies in full combat gear, and I sure wouldn’t have messed with them.

• Dave, if it was up to me, only citizens who have served a couple years in the armed forces would be able to vote or run for office, similar to the original Greek democracy in Athens (although only males could serve in the army and vote in Athens, which of course I am not advocating). This would restrict voting to people that were willing to risk their lives for their country. It likely would have result in less political correctness and more common sense security precautions in the USA that could have prevented the 9/11 terrorist attacks. These voters would have family and friends who are not voters, so I don’t think it would result in any unnecessary restrictions on personal freedoms for the rest of society. Throughout history, many societies tend to move from dictatorship to democracy (as people demand a say in their governance),to anarchy (as govts cannot satisfy all voter demands), and then back to dictatorship (when people support security over anarchy). Restricting voting to only people that previously served their country would likely slow down the move from democracy to anarchy.

• Interesting point, Lance the Canadian. Perhaps such a requirement for voting could have helped prevent the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The hijackers were on student visas, I believe, and weren’t even fingerprinted for that. In order to get a Spousal Visa to come to the States, my wife was fingerprinted, checked out by the NBI (National Bureau of Investigation for the Philippines), fingerprinted by Taiwanese and Singapore Police where she worked, and fingerprinted by Immigration officials in America. Maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea to implement such a voting requirement in the United States. Thanks for the comment.

• I should add that I support this idea even though I would not be able to vote.

• I think it’s a good idea, Lance.

• Dave, Roselyn

Thanks so much Dave and Roselyn. Everyone should be proud of any family member who was in the armed services. I have a female friend who is in the Philipine Army who was stationed at Ft Bonofacio and later transferred to Iliolo City. She does mostly just administrative work in a office. Take Care

• You’re welcome, Papa Duck. Who knows, maybe the asawa and I will run into your military friend in SM City in Iloilo. We see uniformed personnel there quite often. I’ m not shy to approach total strangers. Just ask my wife.

3. Roaelyn,I have to agree with Gary,My wife and i own a house in Samar and i love the Philippines and its people so i am not bad mouthing anybody.But to get more tourists like thailand they going to have to spend some money on roads ,airports torist related things like other thailand has.they need to encourage owner investment from other countries,and expats like the US,Canada and other countries treat filipinos that move there.Money will be invested and jobs will
    be available.

• Wayne: My mother was from Leyte. However, the article is not talking about improvements to attract tourism, but tourism in its lowest degree of prostitution for Filipinas. As far as the other issues of investments for expats, that is entirely a different issue. (My husband of 30 years is Anglo-American.)

• Wayne: Just to add to my comment. I owned homes in Cebu and Cagayan de Oro City. Expats cannot own land in the Philippines (other than condos with 60% Filipino ownership).

4. Dave…sounds like a good idea to me in a way and yet not so good idea. The only sad thing really about the women that go into prostitution or become hookers is that in the long run a lot of them end up with nothing…so sad there. The other thing is I wonder if the health officals in Manila would do the work that would be needed to make sure that was a ( healthy as possible type of occupation ), also I belive we all know that with prostitution comes other things that are not that desirable…like disease and pimps and drugs and etc….so..for me not sure that is such a great idea that Vince, the “When in Manila” moderator, suggestion was such a great one…number one..there probably all ready is a fair share of dirty old men that all ready come there and probably get what they want..but!, if they did do what Vince mentioned I am sure it would add funds over all to the over all economy…what they really need to do is find a way to promote what they all ready have there in a way that would be benifical to all the Fillipino people…I will say this..(no derespect to the Fillina’s ) they would make some of the most beautifull hookers in the world,but over all still my self not like to see something like that happen there. Just my 1 pesos worth.

• Hi Dan. Well, I hope everyone is clear that this video is just a joke, and I’m certainly not promoting more prostitution in the Philippines as a way to promote tourism. I think Wayne had some good ideas about the government doing more like upgrading the current infrastructure. Roselyn also had a good point about promoting medical tourism. I’m all for promoting tourism and bringing more visitors to the Philippines. I’m here to stay and want to see the country grow.

• Hi Dave: I’m relieved that this article is but a joke. I’m rather sensitive of this issue about Filipina women being perceived as prostitutes or opportunistic individuals, preying after old foreigners. (My Anglo-American husband and I are of the same age.)

• I apologize, Roselyn. The video that went with the article did not post at first. Should be fixed now. Don’t blame you for being sensitive, without the video the short post alone did not make a whole lot of sense. Thanks for your patience.

• Dave,

I was on a JAL flight to Manila. My original seat was a middle seat and I was sitting next to a Canadian. The person told me that he was going to visit someone and had the phone numbers to 20 other filipina women. Before I could tell him where to go (and it wasn’t the Philippines), the flight attendant moved my seat to something with leg room. Let’s face reality here. The normal tourist isn’t visiting the Philippines to see the beaches or meet nice people living there. It makes me mad.

I have made some good friends in Leyte. They are real people to me. You have made some good relationships with family and friends in Guimaris. I would prefer to read more articles about them instead of articles with videos with women.

• Thanks for your story, Jack, and unfortunately there are enough tourists coming here for the reason that the Canadian sitting next to you was. I hope that most visitors would come here to visit the natural beauty of the Philippines and mingle with the warm, friendly people living here (but not in the way your passenger mate was.) If you’re a single guy visiting, there are plenty of sweet Filipinas to talk to (not in a bar) and maybe even develop a lasting relationship with.

As far as the videos with the Filipinas go, I appreciate your input. Anyone else have any thoughts on that? Would be happy to do more articles about my relationships with family and friends in Guimaras, have some coming up shortly. Here’s a fact for you that I want to share. The videos have helped more than doubled the views I get to this website. The article you commented on “Boost Tourism with Sexy Hookers” brought in more visitors and page hits for one day this website has ever seen. I’ll try to maintain a better balance of stories that I used to run in my old blog “The Rooster Crows at 4am!” and the current mix of videos.

5. wow..I menat Fillipina’s

6. Nobody in their right mind can approve of prostitution and all that goes with it.

• No, I certainly don’t agree with it, Tony. The satirical video I had posted was missing but has been restored.

7. Hi Dave: I would have liked to see a video on that military parade in Guimaras. I hope that you can catch them again. July 4th is coming around. It is Philippines’ Independence Day, isn’t it?

• Hi Roselyn. I’ll try to catch another parade. The Army personnel I saw were actually gathered for a parade to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of St. Michael the ArchAngel Church in Guimaras. I believe the Independence Day used to be celebrated on July 4th in the Philippines but has been changed to June 12.